Authors: Rio Sports
Serena Williams has released the first images of her newborn daughter Alexis.
The 23-time grand slam singles champion gave birth on 1 September, and announced on Wednesday that she and her fiance, Alexis Ohanian, have named their daughter Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr.
Williams posted a picture on her Instagram page showing her cradling her daughter while the couple also shared a video charting the tennis champion’s pregnancy.A video from Serena Williams and her fiance, Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, announcing the birth of their daughter.
The video shows Williams training throughout the year, winning the Australian Open while eight weeks pregnant, and finishes by announcing Alexis’s name, date of birth and weight.
In the video, Williams says there were “a lot of complications” but does not elaborate.
Last week her coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, said a longer recovery could potentially affect her hopes of returning to the tour in time to defend her Australian Open title in January.
The former world No 1 trained through her pregnancy and has her sights set on overtaking Margaret Court’s all-time record of 24 slam singles titles.
Speaking to Eurosport, Mouratoglou said: “As soon as we feel she is ready to compete, she will. If that is Australia, that’s great. If it’s a bit later, that’s fine.
“She says she still has things to achieve in tennis. She is both a tennis player and a mother, and she has to deal with both of them. She wants to be able to win slams otherwise she will stop.
“For Serena, anything is possible. I cannot put any kind of limit on her. Any time I’ve thought she won’t make it, she did. Which I don’t do any more.”
- Final Draw assistants to represent Russia and seven World Cup winners
- Forlan: U-17 finals will bring good things to Uruguay
- Banks: It’s an honour to be part of the Final Draw
- Menotti's marvels of ’78 in numbers
- Postecoglou steps down from Australia post
- Australia wants to expand relations with Bangladesh
- Argentina missing submarine: Concern grows over lack of oxygen
- Google to soon fix buzzing sounds on Pixel 2 smartphones
- And The Dancing With The Stars Mirrorball Trophy Goes To…
- America's Next Top Model Winner Eva Marcille Is Pregnant With A Baby Boy!
- Steve Smith backs Warner's fitness and talks up Australian pace-attack
- UK billionaire Branson hopes for improvement in Russia-West relations
- Olympic champion Gabby Douglas says she was abused by USA Gymnastics doctor
- Women's Ashes success a turning point in public interest
- Ashes pressure is on Australia not England before first Test, insists Root
- Sam Simmonds in line to replace injured Nathan Hughes for England
- Ray Allen, two-time NBA champion, says he was catfished by man posing as women
- Army Eyes 60 High-End Drones
- Lebanon's Hariri holds talks with Egypt President Sisi in Cairo
- Australia v England, Ashes 2017-18: writers’ predictions