MOSCOW, October 16. /TASS/. Argenis Chavez, the younger brother of late Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, has won Sunday’s gubernatorial election in Barinas State, the National Electoral Council reported.
The candidate from the United Socialist Party of Venezuela secured 52,88% of votes. Elections were held in the country’s 23 states, with the socialists winning the race in 17 of them and the opposition - in five. The processing and vote counting process is still underway in Bolivar State.
Hugo Chavez served as Venezuela’s President from 1999 to 2013. He died of cancer on March 5, 2013.
In other media
- US announces new assistance to Lebanese military
- Serbia turns to Russia for air defense systems, helo procurement
- Azam J Chowdhury elected president of BAPLC, Anis Khan vice-president
- Ecuador VP Jorge Glas sentenced for corruption in Odebrecht case
- Hamid, Erdogan meet in Istanbul, discuss ways to better ties
- Muslim leaders call on world to recognise East Jerusalem as Palestinian capital
- Shahid Kapoor named sexiest Asian man in UK poll
- Andrew Strauss will not return to Ashes tour after his wife is diagnosed with cancer
- #IslamicUnityforQuds is trending at 4 in world
- Palestine's Abbas says US Jerusalem decision 'greatest crime'
- Trump's Jerusalem decision shows lack of respect for Palestinian nation: Iran's Rouhani
- US decision on Jerusalem a mindless blow to rights and status, says President Hamid
- US and Venezuela spar over ban on opposition parties
- Honduras army moves in to quell post-election protests
- Joshua Holt: Venezuela court rules US man to be tried on weapons charges
- Democrat Jones wins US Senate seat in Alabama in blow to Trump
- Federal budget deficit amounts to 0.7% of GDP in 11 months — Russian Finance Ministry
- Diplomat says US fails to present evidence of INF Treaty violations by Russia
- FIFA: Some 2 mln ticket requests for 2018 World Cup received within one week
- Could a 'KoKo' be key to giving Germany a new government?