MOSCOW, October 14. /TASS/. Syrian government forces have ended the operation aimed at destruction of Islamic State terrorists in the Syrian town of al-Mayadin, Russian Defense Ministry Spokesman Maj Gen Igor Konashenkov said on Saturday.
"The Syrian army’s assault troops under command of General Suheil Al-Hassan have entirely liberated the town by putting down terrorists’ fierce resistance in central and southern districts," he said, noting that al-Mayadin was "the terrorists’ most fortified stronghold in east Syria.".
The Russian defense official said that General Suheil’s assault troops supported by Russian air strikes were advancing on IS position.
"Terrorists’ defeat in al-Mayadin has produced necessary conditions for transforming Syrian troops’ tactical victory into an operative one," Konashenkov said.
Earlier on Saturday, Syrian news agency SANA reported about liberation of al-Mayadin, which had been the biggest Syrian city controlled by IS up to date.
In other media
- French lawmaker warns over judging the budget by its cover
- Making sense of CHAMP, the silver bullet miracle missile that isn’t
- Serbia turns to Russia for air defense systems, helo procurement
- GAO: Upgrading to new GPS will cost billions more than planned
- Real survive scare to tee up Gremio clash
- Jerusalem outplayed by Bayern in Germany
- At ICJ is trending at 9 in India
- NATO Hails Opening of Saudi Arabian Movie Theater Market
- Potential ‘harm’ to economy now a factor in all Canada defense competitions
- Poland will piece together its own solution for short-range air defense
- Comprehensive missile defense for the homeland [Commentary]
- Kannemann: Pachuca is our Club World Cup final
- High Court sees abuse of power in mobile courts, cites Lakshmipur jailing of pensioner
- AL govt tough with attacks on religious minorities, says Quader
- Uruguay hosts world's biggest barbecue beating Argentina
- Surgical malpractice: Court orders compensation for Patuakhali woman
- Is Ari Shavit poised for a comeback?
- Federal budget deficit amounts to 0.7% of GDP in 11 months — Russian Finance Ministry
- Diplomat says US fails to present evidence of INF Treaty violations by Russia
- FIFA: Some 2 mln ticket requests for 2018 World Cup received within one week