ST PETERSBURG, October 14. /TASS/. Russia’s lower house of parliament, State Duma, drafts a bill retaliating the US anti-Russian sanctions, but it is too early to discuss details, Duma’s Speaker Vyacheslav Volodin told reporters on Saturday.
"I do not want to comment yet. We consider the issue," he answered when asked about a possibility of approving such a bill.
"We are drawing up the issue, but cannot present it yet or give details about its contents," Volodin added. "The issue is being scrutinized.".
In August, US President Donald Trump signed into law a bill toughening US sanctions against Russia, Iran and North Korea. The bill ‘Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act’ legalized restrictive measures imposed on Russia by the Obama administration. Former US President Barack Obama issued relevant decrees on 6 March and 18 December 2014, 1 April 2015, 26 July and 29 December 2016.
The sanctions created enormous obstacles to cooperation between Russian and US Armed Forces, special services and defense industries. Russian companies, primarily the energy ones, were denied Western loans. Besides, the law gives green light to new sanctions (bank assets freezes, non-issuance of US entry visas and so on) for "activities undermining cybersecurity … on behalf of the Government of the Russian Federation."
On September 2, the US authorities seized control of the buildings of the Russia’s consulate-general in San Francisco and trade mission in Washington, though both are Russian property and enjoy diplomatic immunity. Russian officials have been banned from the leased offices of the Russian trade mission in New York. The offices have searched by US officials since then.
In other media
- Sweden to re-establish military unit on Baltic Sea island
- Serbia turns to Russia for air defense systems, helo procurement
- ‘Nothing more natural’: Turkey-Qatar procurement business flourishes
- Azam J Chowdhury elected president of BAPLC, Anis Khan vice-president
- Ecuador VP Jorge Glas sentenced for corruption in Odebrecht case
- Hamid, Erdogan meet in Istanbul, discuss ways to better ties
- Muslim leaders call on world to recognise East Jerusalem as Palestinian capital
- Histadrut calls for general strike in response to Teva layoffs
- #IslamicUnityforQuds is trending at 4 in world
- NATO Hails Opening of Saudi Arabian Movie Theater Market
- GDC Technology Spotlights Revolutionary Cinema Automation 2.0 at CineAsia 2017
- Potential ‘harm’ to economy now a factor in all Canada defense competitions
- Gareca: I want Peru to boss matches at the World Cup
- Mauricio Antonio ends his year on a high
- Palestine's Abbas says US Jerusalem decision 'greatest crime'
- Trump's Jerusalem decision shows lack of respect for Palestinian nation: Iran's Rouhani
- US decision on Jerusalem a mindless blow to rights and status, says President Hamid
- Uruguay hosts world's biggest barbecue beating Argentina
- US and Venezuela spar over ban on opposition parties
- Honduras army moves in to quell post-election protests