MOSCOW, September 9. /TASS/. Russia will do everything possible to prepare in an efficient and timely manner for hosting the 2018 FIFA World Cup, President Vladimir Putin said on Saturday.
"Everything is going on schedule, everything is financed properly," Putin said at a meeting with FIFA President Gianni Infantino.
Russia "will exert every effort to fulfil everything in an efficient and timely manner," he added. "I am hopeful that your specialists who oversee the work will go on with it and we together will carry preparations for the World Cup through to the expected finish."
Prior to the meeting, Putin and Infantino had inspected the renovated Luzhniki stadium and watched young footballers’ training sessions.
The Russian president drew the FIFA head’s attention to how Russian "young athletes and would-be champions" perceive the preparations for the World Cup.
"You were absolutely right saying that the Cup has some magic significance, some magic capacity," Putin told Infantino.
Russia was granted the right for the football championship after clinching the bid in Guatemala in December 2010. The victory came following a tight race against a bid from England, a joint bid from Portugal and Spain and another joint bid on behalf of Belgium and the Netherlands.
The country selected 11 host cities to be the venues for the matches of the 2018 World Cup and they are Moscow, St. Petersburg, Sochi, Kazan, Saransk, Kaliningrad, Volgograd, Rostov-on-Don, Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg and Samara.
The matches of the 2018 World Cup will be held between June 14 and July 15 at 12 stadiums located in the 11 above-mentioned cities across Russia. Two of the stadiums are located in the Russian capital.
- Bhavnagar is trending at 9 in India
- US declares North Korea a terror sponsor; new sanctions expected
- Successful first run for anti-discrimination monitoring system
- Iran’s president declares elimination of Islamic State in Syria
- Washington uses terror groups in Syria for its own goals — Lavrov
- Foreign Ministry accredited press can cover election without difficulty — election chief
- Putin meets Assad ahead of Syria talks with Turkey and Iran
- Armenia plans to boost cooperation with Russia in all areas
- Germany seeks way out of crisis after government talks collapse
- Navy’s Drone Crashes In Kochi Ahead of VP Naidu’s Arrival
- Rosneft CEO will not attend court session on ex-economy minister case
- Putin to discuss Syrian deal with Trump and Middle East leaders
- Delhi HC refuses to pass order against Abdullah over PoK remarks
- Hezbollah leader Nasrallah warns of Saudi-Israel ties, denies arming Houthis
- In pictures: MKs from across the spectrum back Rivlin during backlash
- China Objects To President Ram Nath Kovind’s Arunachal Pradesh Visit
- Indian Industry Should Draw Up 50-Yr Plan For Defence Supplies: Defence Minister
- Amsterdam wins race to host the European Medicines Agency
- Mugabe still Zimbabwe president despite pressure to quit now
- From Montevideo to Moscow