WASHINGTON, September 9. /TASS/. US Department of State has confirmed that US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Thomas Shannon will leave for Helsinki on September 10-12 to hold talks with Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov, the State Department said on Saturday in a press release.
"Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Thomas A. Shannon, Jr. will travel to Helsinki, Finland September 10-12 where he will meet with Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov to address areas of bilateral concern and cooperation," the press release says, without specifying the exact date of the talks.
Besides, Shannon "will also lead the U.S. interagency delegation to the U.S.-Russia Strategic Stability Talks," it says.
"Under Secretary Shannon will also meet senior Finnish officials, including President Sauli Niinist·, to discuss a range of bilateral and global issues, following the Finnish President’s visit to the White House on August 28," it reads.
Setting up a communications channel between Ryabkov and Shannon was one of the results of U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s visit to Moscow in April 2017. In particular, Moscow and Washington agreed that the diplomats should assess the current problems in bilateral relations. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov later said that these contacts marked "a useful and business-like approach."
The previous round of negotiations between the Russian deputy foreign minister and the U.S. undersecretary of state took place in Washington on July 17.
- US declares North Korea a terror sponsor; new sanctions expected
- Iran’s president declares elimination of Islamic State in Syria
- Police uniform will not be changed, despite headscarf ruling: minister
- Washington uses terror groups in Syria for its own goals — Lavrov
- Foreign Ministry accredited press can cover election without difficulty — election chief
- Huge Win For India: Judge Dalveer Bhandari Is Re-Elected At World Court (ICJ): 10 Points
- Putin meets Assad ahead of Syria talks with Turkey and Iran
- Armenia plans to boost cooperation with Russia in all areas
- Germany seeks way out of crisis after government talks collapse
- Merkel says ready to lead party in case of new election
- Rosneft CEO will not attend court session on ex-economy minister case
- Putin to discuss Syrian deal with Trump and Middle East leaders
- Kamal Haasan comes out in support of Padmavati
- Netanyahu to bridge troubled EU waters, makes first premier visit in 22 years
- Major blockade at CBFC created just to stall Padmavati? 68-day submission rule relaxed
- Padmavati to release in 2018; all promotions put on hold for now
- Supreme Court dismisses the plea to put stay on Padmavati release
- “The CBFC is behaving in a very strange way” - Shyam Benegal on the Padmavati row
- Swaraj congratulates Bhandari on re-election to ICJ
- Sharad Yadav faction of JD(U) moves HC against ECI verdict on party symbol