MOSCOW, August 20. /TASS/. The West is "trying to establish hegemony" over the Middle East, and Syria jointly with Russia "confront those attempts," Syria’s President Bashar Assad said on Sunday.
He addressed a meeting of diplomatic personnel at Syria’s Foreign Ministry, the Suriya television channel said.
"Syria’s position to protect the national sovereignty was the reason of the war unleashed against it," the president said. "The Syrians have paid high price for the failed talks between the West and ‘brothers-Muslims’, but anyway the resistance price is lower than the price of surrender."
"The fight is not over, it continues, the beginning humanitarian initiatives have the purpose of achieving what the terrorists could not achieve," Assad said.
Russia and Iran, friendly to Syria, "have made a big input in the successful operations the Syrian military continue against terrorists," Syria’s President said.
"We are proud of the important support from our friends and brothers in the fight against terrorism," he said.
"From the very beginning of the crisis, Iran offered to us economic and military assistance," Assad said. "Russia protected Syria at the Security Council, and then sent over its military, and its servicemen died heroically on the Syrian land."
"To support of friends, who helped Syria to survive, would be devoted chapters of history textbooks," he added.
- Gaza is trending at 10 in India
- Rs 650 is trending at 9 in India
- Jharkhand's Kumardubi is trending at 8 in India
- Arun Sadhu is trending at 6 in India
- #Super30 is trending at 5 in India
- #MaharawalRatanSingh is trending at 4 in India
- #DeendayalUpadhyaya is trending at 3 in India
- Studio Weekend Estimates: ‘Kingsman’ Golden w/ $39M; ‘Lego Ninjago’ Starts w/ $21.2M; R-Rated Titles Comprise 8 of Top 10
- Trio through to Uruguay as Korea DPR retain title
- Trump slaps travel restrictions on N Korea, Venezuela in sweeping new ban
- London mayor says Britain should not host President Trump on state visit
- Chastened Merkel braces for coalition tussle after vote
- Venezuela added to US travel ban
- Govt to finalise health surcharge policy after PM returns
- Moeen Ali smashes second fastest ODI century for England, helps them beat West Indies
- India clinch ODI series with hat-trick of wins against Australia
- Barca, Real and Atletico all win in La Liga
- Seven pro-Jamaat-e-Islami doctors face police grilling over ‘violent sabotage plan'
- BNP rejects Hasina's 'safe zone' solution to Rohingya crisis
- Man beats sister to death over marriage dispute