MOSCOW, August 20. /TASS/. The West is "trying to establish hegemony" over the Middle East, and Syria jointly with Russia "confront those attempts," Syria’s President Bashar Assad said on Sunday.
He addressed a meeting of diplomatic personnel at Syria’s Foreign Ministry, the Suriya television channel said.
"Syria’s position to protect the national sovereignty was the reason of the war unleashed against it," the president said. "The Syrians have paid high price for the failed talks between the West and ‘brothers-Muslims’, but anyway the resistance price is lower than the price of surrender."
"The fight is not over, it continues, the beginning humanitarian initiatives have the purpose of achieving what the terrorists could not achieve," Assad said.
Russia and Iran, friendly to Syria, "have made a big input in the successful operations the Syrian military continue against terrorists," Syria’s President said.
"We are proud of the important support from our friends and brothers in the fight against terrorism," he said.
"From the very beginning of the crisis, Iran offered to us economic and military assistance," Assad said. "Russia protected Syria at the Security Council, and then sent over its military, and its servicemen died heroically on the Syrian land."
"To support of friends, who helped Syria to survive, would be devoted chapters of history textbooks," he added.
- Air Force, Navy send more equipment to search for missing Argentine submarine
- Zimbabwe’s President Mugabe resigns after 37 years
- Here’s what led to Mugabe’s resignation as Zimbabwe president [GALLERY]
- US airstrike kills more than 100 al-Shabab militants
- 'Our athletes still rise'
- British embassy cat in Jordan appointed chief mouser
- PM Hasina asks why High Court is spending time on ‘petty matters, not important cases’
- Mines, settlements, airports: How to clean the Arctic from neglected facilities
- Infinix Zero 5, Zero 5 Pro to go on sale for the first time at 12PM today: Launch offers, deals, and more
- Kremlin refutes media rumors of supporting political forces in Lugansk
- Russia and Japan set 2018 fishing quotas in Kuril Islands zone
- Far Eastern authorities ground all L-410 planes after fatal crash
- Xiaomi Redmi Y1, Redmi Y1 Lite to go on sale today: Everything you need to know
- Paytm Mall to offer accidental damage cover for smartphones
- Ukrainian ex-president’s new lawyer seeks personal meeting with Yanukovich
- Putin-Trump talk confirms that constructive Russia-US dialogue possible — Russian lawmaker
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns, ending four decades of rule
- Mifalot helps sports become a tool for social inclusion
- Discouraging information in Russian media should not exceed 10% — opinion
- Moldova’s breakaway region has every right to seek recognition of independence — experts