Authors: TheIndianSubcontinent News Agency
They convicted had been on the run since their sentencing last month, while two convicted Kuwaitis remained at large
KUWAIT CITY: Kuwaiti authorities on Saturday arrested 12 convicted members of a “terrorist cell” with ties to Iran and Lebanon’s Shia movement Hezbollah after a weeks-long manhunt.
The interior ministry said the 12 had been captured in different areas across Kuwait. They had been on the run since their sentencing last month, while two other convicted Kuwaitis remained at large.
Kuwait expels Iranian diplomats over ‘terror’ cell: officials
The supreme court in Sunni-ruled Kuwait, which has a sizeable Shia minority, in June overturned an acquittal by an appeals court and convicted 21 Shia of forming a “terrorist cell” with ties to Iran and Hezbollah.
The cell had planned to launch attacks across the Gulf state, according to the court verdict.
Kuwait has protested to Lebanon over the alleged training of the so-called “Abdali Cell” by Hezbollah, which has ministers in the Beirut government.
Preparations begin for militants to leave Lebanon border region: Hezbollah media unit
Last month, authorities expelled 15 Iranian diplomats and shut down the military, cultural and trade missions of the Iranian embassy over Tehran’s backing of the “terrorist cell”.
Iran said the allegation is baseless.
Shia account for around a third of Kuwait’s native population of 1.35 million.
- Man framed by cop clears his name after 43 years
- Kerala: Woman murders son, arrested
- 10 Infectious Diseases That Changed History
- Trump wall: President denies changing view on Mexico border plan
- Pope Francis arrives in crisis-hit Peru
- Two arrested for abducting, raping woman in moving car in Gurgaon
- Three women arrested in Mumbai with drugs worth ₹29 lakh
- Narrow escape for DPS kids as bus catches fire
- I am not anti-Hindu, I am anti-Modi, says actor Prakash Raj
- Albuquerque fifth-grader mistakenly passes marijuana in school
- Long-distance trains start running again after hurricane
- Russia accuses Washington of leaking diplomats' bank details
- Netanyahu Backs India's Right To Hit Terror Hideouts Across LoC
- Jharkhand Offers Infrastructure For Manufacturing of F-16 Fighter Aircraft
- ‘Make-II’ Promise For Arms Firms
- 'You are pure evil': Larry Nassar says it’s too hard to listen to victim statements
- Status Quo Not Altered At Doklam: India
- Modi Govt Saddling India’s Military With More Bureaucracy
- Tamil Nadu To Come Out With Aerospace, Defence Policies: Chief Minister
- IDN TAKE: The Baltic States: Gained Dependence