Authors: TheIndianSubcontinent News Agency
They convicted had been on the run since their sentencing last month, while two convicted Kuwaitis remained at large
KUWAIT CITY: Kuwaiti authorities on Saturday arrested 12 convicted members of a “terrorist cell” with ties to Iran and Lebanon’s Shia movement Hezbollah after a weeks-long manhunt.
The interior ministry said the 12 had been captured in different areas across Kuwait. They had been on the run since their sentencing last month, while two other convicted Kuwaitis remained at large.
Kuwait expels Iranian diplomats over ‘terror’ cell: officials
The supreme court in Sunni-ruled Kuwait, which has a sizeable Shia minority, in June overturned an acquittal by an appeals court and convicted 21 Shia of forming a “terrorist cell” with ties to Iran and Hezbollah.
The cell had planned to launch attacks across the Gulf state, according to the court verdict.
Kuwait has protested to Lebanon over the alleged training of the so-called “Abdali Cell” by Hezbollah, which has ministers in the Beirut government.
Preparations begin for militants to leave Lebanon border region: Hezbollah media unit
Last month, authorities expelled 15 Iranian diplomats and shut down the military, cultural and trade missions of the Iranian embassy over Tehran’s backing of the “terrorist cell”.
Iran said the allegation is baseless.
Shia account for around a third of Kuwait’s native population of 1.35 million.
- Mexico migrant killings: Suspect dies after arrest
- CTD arrests one terrorist in Peshawar
- Regional gird project being established soon to utilize energy in GB: Akbar
- Security forces carry out operation against terrorists in Turbat
- Rangers arrest 13 criminals in Karachi
- Expansionist designs of India great threat to peace in region: AJK PM
- Gilgit-Baltistan becomes ideal place for tourism: Ghazanfar
- No new case of polio reported in FATA during 2017: Jhagra
- Highest standards of education to be ensured at all Public Sector Universities: AJK President
- Govt making concrete efforts for promotion of education sector in Balochistan: Achakzai
- Development projects need of hour after restoration of peace in Karachi: Zubair
- Governor Sindh invites Kuwaiti investors to take benefits of economic opportunities in Pakistan
- PM Hariri arrives to Paris as Saudi-Iranian tensions run high
- Dhaka to have rolling outages for 11 days until Nov 30
- Russian embassy urges US authorities to stop restring free speech for Russian media
- Ambassador says commission for chemical attacks in Syria covered itself with shame
- 17-year-old rescued child labourer from Bengaluru to address Parliament
- With urbanisation, police should develop innovative skills to meet challenges: HC
- Mafia boss and mass murderer Riina dies in jail
- Police arrest BNP student affiliate’s general secretary