A view of the mosaic from above. Photo: DPA.
Thousands of cocktail umbrellas were placed on the beach to create a colourful mosaic in the North Sea resort town of Esens-Bensersiel on Sunday in an attempt to set a new world record.
Intending it to be the largest mosaic of its kind, volunteers who had helped out are now hoping for an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records, according to event organizer and head of tourism marketing in Esens-Bensersiel, Benjamin Buserath.
When viewed from above, the mosaic clearly spells out “Esens-Besnsersiel” in the colour blue against a yellow background.
As volunteers helped line the mini paper umbrellas in the sand, donations were also collected in the East Frisian seaside town for the children's hospice in nearby city of Cuxhaven, reported the local tourist office.
By Sunday evening, around 23,000 umbrellas had been placed on the beach, according to the resort area's website. The initial plan was to attempt to lay down 30,000 umbrellas but the volunteers later in the day decided against it.
“The team was a little behind schedule because it was so windy," said Buserath.
They had started working at around 11am but by around 3pm, only about half of the umbrellas had been set down, he explained.
According to Buserath, the previous record was 20,000 cocktail umbrellas.
- Leonardo boss calls market reaction ‘excessive’ in wake of lower forecast
- Gary Lineker and Maria Komandnaya to conduct Final Draw
- Coleman leaves Wales post
- NID services: EC vows to take tough action against corruption
- Security forces carry out operation against terrorists in Turbat
- Camp Nou could be closed if Barca fans insult Spain: La Liga president
- Ousted Caracas mayor arrives in Spain after fleeing Venezuela
- Chennai Customs Website Hacked: Hackers Possibly From Pakistan Claim To Deface Site
- Shah Rukh Khan's production partners with Netflix on original series based on ‘Bard of Blood’ book
- Russian embassy urges US authorities to stop restring free speech for Russian media
- Usher's $20 Million Herpes Lawsuit Is Dismissed
- Ontario provincial government moves to enact law to end college teacher strike
- Project Runway Contestant Wendy Pepper Passes Away
- Russia vetoes UN SC's resolution on prolonging mandate of investigative mission in Syria
- Plaint against Farooq Abdullah, Rishi Kapoor over PoK
- Manmohan Singh wants Left to cooperate with Cong to fight BJP
- Exclusive: Deported PFI Member Spills The Beans On ISIS Recruitment In India
- Australia’s hardened edge energises Michael Hooper for England test
- Gurez Emerging As Favorite Route of Infiltration This Year: IGP Kashmir
- 10 homes that make the most of their balconies