Syrian pro-government forces hold a position near the village of al-Maleha on Saturday during the ongoing battle against Isis jihadists. Photo: AFP
German authorities believe the Islamic State group holds some 11,100 blank Syrian passports that can be completed with any individual's details, weekly newspaper Bild am Sonntag reported on Sunday.
Investigators have assembled a list of serial numbers of the blank passports and the authorities that issued them, the newspaper reported, citing confidential documents from federal police and the interior ministry.
The stolen passports are genuine identity papers that have not yet been filled out with an individual's details, making them a valuable tool for forgers.
In total, German security services are aware of some 18,002 blank Syrian passports stolen from Syrian government sites, including thousands held by groups other than Isis.
"Developments in connection with the refugee situation have shown that terrorist organisations are using the opportunity to infiltrate potential attackers or supporters into Europe and Germany undetected," a spokeswoman for the BKA federal criminal police told Bild am Sonntag.
Members of the group behind a series of coordinated bomb and gun attacks in Paris that claimed 130 lives in November 2015 were found to have used fake Syrian passports.
However, "'Fake or altered passports are mostly used for illegal entry without further motives like carrying out a terrorist attack," the spokeswoman said.
Some 8,625 passports checked by German migration authorities in 2016 turned out to be fakes according to the documents seen by Bild am Sonntag.
But the files provided no information on how many of the passports were among those that had passed through IS' hands.
- Police say NY blast suspect asked wife in Dhaka to read books by hardline Islamic preacher
- Security robot bullied and forced off the street in San Francisco
- At least 39 Yemenis dead in Saudi-led raid on police camp in Sanaa: official
- BRAC, Germany’s KfW to set up climate change fund in Bangladesh
- Federal budget deficit amounts to 0.7% of GDP in 11 months — Russian Finance Ministry
- Düsseldorf court releases suspect in 'suicide bomb plot' over lack of evidence
- Could a 'KoKo' be key to giving Germany a new government?
- One killed in Tejgaon ‘shootout’
- Germany to boost support for victims after criticism over handling of terrorist attack
- Dutch to join Austria in battle against Germany's 'foreigner' road toll
- Why the new Berlin-Munich rail line has got off to such a bad start
- Everything you need to know about having a baby in Germany
- ‘IS fighter’ spotted in Amsterdam says he had nothing to do with terror group
- Sweden's 'Laser Man' killer goes on trial in Germany
- Spiegel hits back at Morrissey by publishing audio of controversial interview
- The Dutch join Austria in fight against ‘discriminatory’ German road toll plan
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited To Produce 100 Basic Trainer Aircraft
- Terrorists Attack Pakistani Army Patrol, Killing 2 Soldiers
- Times Square bomb suspect Akayed charged; Bangladesh questions wife
- Netflix Fires Exec Who Unknowingly Spoke To Danny Masterson Rape Accuser At Soccer Game