The Miró Exhibition in the Max Ernst Museum. Photo: DPA.
Summer may be nearly over, but that doesn't mean you have to hide away at home. Take a look at our top picks of the many great galleries Germany has to offer.
1. The Caricatura Galerie für Komische Kunst (Kassel)
A previous Caricatura exhibition. Photo: DPA.
Instead of trawling the internet for memes, why not head to the Caricatura to get your comedy fix. Since 1987 the galley has been turning the city of Kassel into a hotspot for comedy and satire in Germany by displaying caricatures, cartoons and comic strips which poke fun at current events and culture.
Through collections which change every five years, Caricatura has been supporting young comedic artists and presenting their talent to the world in their showcase of the best comic art Germany has to offer.
2. The Bucerius Kunst Forum (Hamburg)
The Bucerius Kunst Forum. Photo: DPA.
The Bucerius Kunst Forum in Hamburg is an international exhibition centre, characterised by its focused exhibition concepts ranging vastly in time and style. Having already featured artists such as Frida Kahlo and Picasso, their upcoming exhibit concentrates on the birth of the art market in the Golden Age of the Netherlands.
Following the careers of artists such as Rembrandt, Ruisdael and Van Goyen, the pieces have been carefully chosen to depict the influence commercialisation had on painting style due to the waning popularity of commissioned paintings.
3. The Neues Staatliches Museum für Kunst und Design (Nuremberg)
4. The Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister (Dresden)
5. Wallraf-Richartz Museum (Cologne)
6. MUCA (Munich)
7. Alte Pinakothek (Munich)
8. The Camera Work Photo Gallery (Berlin)
9. The Max Ernst Museum (Brühl)
10. The Berlinische Galerie (Berlin)
The 'Letter Carpet" designed by Kühn Malvezzi in front of the Berlinische Galerie. Photo: DPA.
- GAO: Upgrading to new GPS will cost billions more than planned
- BRAC, Germany’s KfW to set up climate change fund in Bangladesh
- Muji is not just about minimalism and simplicity, says art director Kenya Hara
- Bouroullec brothers insert cloud-like canopy into Miami Design District
- Stella Collective brings the outside in for seaside cafe interior
- The Rove Downtown hotel is a new concept for Dubai says Anne-Cecile de Chaumont
- Düsseldorf court releases suspect in 'suicide bomb plot' over lack of evidence
- Could a 'KoKo' be key to giving Germany a new government?
- Alabama architecture students convert historic bank into library for rural town
- Lia launches world's first flushable pregnancy test
- Germany to boost support for victims after criticism over handling of terrorist attack
- Greek mountain home by Natalia Kokosalaki blends ideas from chalets and urban lofts
- Dutch to join Austria in battle against Germany's 'foreigner' road toll
- Why the new Berlin-Munich rail line has got off to such a bad start
- Everything you need to know about having a baby in Germany
- Sweden's 'Laser Man' killer goes on trial in Germany
- Spiegel hits back at Morrissey by publishing audio of controversial interview
- The Dutch join Austria in fight against ‘discriminatory’ German road toll plan
- Dezeen's top 10 architecture and design quotes of 2017
- Marcel Wanders uses mismatched patterns and oversized furnishings for Doha hotel