Alert status for Mount Agung in eastern Bali was at 3, one level below the highest
DENPASAR: Thousands of residents were evacuated from villages near an active volcano on the Indonesian island of Bali, officials said on Friday, as
seismic tremors rattled some areas and smoke rose above one of the world’s most popular tourist spots.
The alert status for Mount Agung in eastern Bali was at 3, one level below the highest, and authorities warned tourists and residents to avoid camping or hiking within a 6 km (4 miles) radius of the crater.
Tremors trigger fears of volcanic eruption in Bali
“Volcanic activity remains high and there are indications of magma rising to the surface and causing tremors,” said Sutopo Purwo Nugroho of the National Disaster Management Agency.
“There should be zero public activity within the specified radius in case there is an eruption,” Nugroho said. However, flights at Bali’s international airport were operating as normal and there was little disruption to tourism operators across the rest of the island, authorities said.
Nearly 6,000 people have been evacuated so far and that number was expected to rise, officials said. Some residents in villages at the foot of Mount Agung said they were reluctant to leave immediately. Others gathered to watch the volcano.
Bali will not cover up statues for Saudi king: officials
“I’m here with my husband. We need to feed the animals so that’s what we’re doing first,” villager Wayan Suarda told national television station tvOne. Others packed their belongings into trucks for evacuation, while more stopped to watch as clouds of white smoke rose from the crater, which is around 3,000 metres (9,840 feet) above sea level.
Indonesia straddles the “Pacific Ring of Fire”, where several tectonic plates meet and cause 90 percent of the world’s seismic activity, according to the US Geological Survey. Indonesia has nearly 130 active volcanoes, more than any other country.
A series of eruptions at Mount Agung between 1963 and 1964
killed more than 1,000 people and injured hundreds.
- Lena Dunham is trending at 7 in world
- CBFC is trending at 5 in India
- Thursday Night Report: ‘Justice League’ Bows to $13M; ‘Wonder’ Starts with $740K
- Long Range Forecast: ‘The Post,’ ‘Proud Mary,’ ‘Paddington 2,’ ‘The Commuter, ‘Condorito’
- ‘Justice League’ Starts w/ $27.3M Overseas
- Ambassador to NATO unsure if US will impose sanctions on Turkey for S-400 buy
- Moody's gives Modi a boost by raising India's sovereign rating
- Syria toxic gas inquiry to end after Russia again blocks UN renewal
- CTD arrests one terrorist in Peshawar
- Regional gird project being established soon to utilize energy in GB: Akbar
- Expansionist designs of India great threat to peace in region: AJK PM
- Gilgit-Baltistan becomes ideal place for tourism: Ghazanfar
- Camp Nou could be closed if Barca fans insult Spain: La Liga president
- Rohit Shetty’s Golmaal Again Earns Well Despite New Releases
- Tumhari Sulu Budget First Day Box Office Collection: Slow Start
- Sunny Leone talks about casting couch
- Argentine Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Members On Board - Navy
- Box Office – Tumhari Sulu Does Fair Business Amongst Women Centric Films In 2017
- WOW! Akshay Kumar's PadMan to be shot at United Nations headquarters
- Dhaka to have rolling outages for 11 days until Nov 30