The candidate, a Kasur resident, is namesake of the deposed prime minister
In a surprising development ‘Nawaz Sharif’ has filed his nomination papers for the upcoming by-elections on NA-120.
The National Assembly seat fell vacant after the Supreme Court in its July 28 landmark judgment deposed prime minister Nawaz Sharif for concealing assets in his nomination papers for 2013 elections.
The submission of nomination papers on Saturday by a resident Kasur who happens to be the namesake of the ousted premier caused error in reporting by some private TV channels which claimed that the nominee was former PM Nawaz Sharif.
The battle for NA-120 is set to be a close one
However, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) later clarified that the candidate was not the former prime minister but his namesake. “Every citizen has the right to contest elections and it will be decided whether to accept or reject his documents after scrutiny of his documents from August 15 to 17,” said the returning officer concerned.
Interestingly, the candidate’s father bears the same name as father of the ex-premier while his brother’s name is also Shehbaz Sharif.
On Friday, the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) fielded Kulsoom Nawaz for NA-120. Captain (retd) Safdar, Senator Asif Kirmani and others submitted the nomination papers for former premier’s wife.
PML-N fields Kulsoom Nawaz for key contest
Besides Kulsoom, notable among those in the run for NA-120 are Dr Yasmeen Rashid of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, Hafiz Mian Zubair Kardar of te Pakistan Peoples Party and advocate Ishtiaq Chaudhary of Pakistan Awami Tehreek.
Former police constable Din Muhammad is also in the fray as an independent candidate.
- 20 AAP MLAs is trending at 8 in world
- Mahmood Farooqui is trending at 6 in India
- 20 AAP MLAs is trending at 1 in India
- SMPTE Names New Secretary/Treasurer and 2018 Directors
- Screenvision Announces Jurors for First Hegarty Advertising in Cinema Excellence Awards
- Alcons Introduces New Surround System CRMSC-SRHV Featuring Waveguide Technology
- 1 injured in Mumbai's Navrang studio fire
- J&K: Two civilians killed as Pakistan violates ceasefire
- Amit Shah to launch 'Yuva Udghosh' in Varanasi
- Air quality in Delhi-NCR continues to remain severe
- CM Yogi to attend 'sant sammelan' in UP
- Kerala: Woman murders son, arrested
- Low per capital income result of 'indiscriminate bifurcation': Andhra CM
- Dacoits abduct two minors in Lucknow
- INSV Tarini crosses Cape Horn
- 99-year-old from Jharkhand can't survive without eating mud
- Kashmiri Pandits observe 28th Exodus Day
- Eleven civilians injured in ceasefire violation along LoC
- WB: Two killed in TMC clash
- Omar urges India, Pak to work together to bring peace