The candidate, a Kasur resident, is namesake of the deposed prime minister
In a surprising development ‘Nawaz Sharif’ has filed his nomination papers for the upcoming by-elections on NA-120.
The National Assembly seat fell vacant after the Supreme Court in its July 28 landmark judgment deposed prime minister Nawaz Sharif for concealing assets in his nomination papers for 2013 elections.
The submission of nomination papers on Saturday by a resident Kasur who happens to be the namesake of the ousted premier caused error in reporting by some private TV channels which claimed that the nominee was former PM Nawaz Sharif.
The battle for NA-120 is set to be a close one
However, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) later clarified that the candidate was not the former prime minister but his namesake. “Every citizen has the right to contest elections and it will be decided whether to accept or reject his documents after scrutiny of his documents from August 15 to 17,” said the returning officer concerned.
Interestingly, the candidate’s father bears the same name as father of the ex-premier while his brother’s name is also Shehbaz Sharif.
On Friday, the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) fielded Kulsoom Nawaz for NA-120. Captain (retd) Safdar, Senator Asif Kirmani and others submitted the nomination papers for former premier’s wife.
PML-N fields Kulsoom Nawaz for key contest
Besides Kulsoom, notable among those in the run for NA-120 are Dr Yasmeen Rashid of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, Hafiz Mian Zubair Kardar of te Pakistan Peoples Party and advocate Ishtiaq Chaudhary of Pakistan Awami Tehreek.
Former police constable Din Muhammad is also in the fray as an independent candidate.
- Lena Dunham is trending at 7 in world
- CBFC is trending at 5 in India
- Thursday Night Report: ‘Justice League’ Bows to $13M; ‘Wonder’ Starts with $740K
- Long Range Forecast: ‘The Post,’ ‘Proud Mary,’ ‘Paddington 2,’ ‘The Commuter, ‘Condorito’
- ‘Justice League’ Starts w/ $27.3M Overseas
- Ambassador to NATO unsure if US will impose sanctions on Turkey for S-400 buy
- Uruguay 2018: More than just an emblem launch
- Coleman leaves Wales post
- Lebanon's Hariri leaves Saudi Arabia for France on Friday
- NID services: EC vows to take tough action against corruption
- BNP’s Mintoo, family named in Paradise Papers leaks
- CTD arrests one terrorist in Peshawar
- Regional gird project being established soon to utilize energy in GB: Akbar
- Security forces carry out operation against terrorists in Turbat
- Rangers arrest 13 criminals in Karachi
- Expansionist designs of India great threat to peace in region: AJK PM
- Gilgit-Baltistan becomes ideal place for tourism: Ghazanfar
- No new case of polio reported in FATA during 2017: Jhagra
- Highest standards of education to be ensured at all Public Sector Universities: AJK President
- Govt making concrete efforts for promotion of education sector in Balochistan: Achakzai