The candidate, a Kasur resident, is namesake of the deposed prime minister
In a surprising development ‘Nawaz Sharif’ has filed his nomination papers for the upcoming by-elections on NA-120.
The National Assembly seat fell vacant after the Supreme Court in its July 28 landmark judgment deposed prime minister Nawaz Sharif for concealing assets in his nomination papers for 2013 elections.
The submission of nomination papers on Saturday by a resident Kasur who happens to be the namesake of the ousted premier caused error in reporting by some private TV channels which claimed that the nominee was former PM Nawaz Sharif.
The battle for NA-120 is set to be a close one
However, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) later clarified that the candidate was not the former prime minister but his namesake. “Every citizen has the right to contest elections and it will be decided whether to accept or reject his documents after scrutiny of his documents from August 15 to 17,” said the returning officer concerned.
Interestingly, the candidate’s father bears the same name as father of the ex-premier while his brother’s name is also Shehbaz Sharif.
On Friday, the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) fielded Kulsoom Nawaz for NA-120. Captain (retd) Safdar, Senator Asif Kirmani and others submitted the nomination papers for former premier’s wife.
PML-N fields Kulsoom Nawaz for key contest
Besides Kulsoom, notable among those in the run for NA-120 are Dr Yasmeen Rashid of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, Hafiz Mian Zubair Kardar of te Pakistan Peoples Party and advocate Ishtiaq Chaudhary of Pakistan Awami Tehreek.
Former police constable Din Muhammad is also in the fray as an independent candidate.
- Ayushmann Khurrana Interview: It’s a welcome change for me to not be the simple, sweet and good guy in a film!
- Review of Partition: 1947, a heartfelt depiction of factors that led to Indo-Pak Partition, in Last Viceroy's Point of view!
- Dhanush: 'VIP 2' starts from where 'VIP' ended. It's a proper sequel to VIP!
- Azpilicueta talks FIWC, team-mates' FIFA skills and his favourite club
- Nominees for The Best FIFA Football Awards to be announced on Thursday
- Women’s football tackling big issues in India
- Valderrama: To be the best, you have to love football
- Favourites on form during exciting opening day
- New-look Nepal harbouring fresh hopes
- 10 Amazing Places Life Has Been Found
- 10 Reasons The Story Of Jesus Might Be An Allegory For The Sun
- Top 10 Incredible Stories Told By Credible People
- Trump's crisis spurs talk of White House departures
- Internet firms shift stance, move to exile white supremacists
- Thirty-seven inmates killed in government raid on Venezuelan prison
- With a wary eye on Iran, Saudi and Iraqi leaders draw closer
- Virginia rally victim's message 'magnified,' mother tells memorial
- Bangladesh has highest trade deficit since 2010
- Dominant Madrid crush Barcelona to win Super Cup
- Human Rights Watch appeals to India on Rohingya situation