They convicted had been on the run since their sentencing last month, while two convicted Kuwaitis remained at large
KUWAIT CITY: Kuwaiti authorities on Saturday arrested 12 convicted members of a “terrorist cell” with ties to Iran and Lebanon’s Shia movement Hezbollah after a weeks-long manhunt.
The interior ministry said the 12 had been captured in different areas across Kuwait. They had been on the run since their sentencing last month, while two other convicted Kuwaitis remained at large.
Kuwait expels Iranian diplomats over ‘terror’ cell: officials
The supreme court in Sunni-ruled Kuwait, which has a sizeable Shia minority, in June overturned an acquittal by an appeals court and convicted 21 Shia of forming a “terrorist cell” with ties to Iran and Hezbollah.
The cell had planned to launch attacks across the Gulf state, according to the court verdict.
Kuwait has protested to Lebanon over the alleged training of the so-called “Abdali Cell” by Hezbollah, which has ministers in the Beirut government.
Preparations begin for militants to leave Lebanon border region: Hezbollah media unit
Last month, authorities expelled 15 Iranian diplomats and shut down the military, cultural and trade missions of the Iranian embassy over Tehran’s backing of the “terrorist cell”.
Iran said the allegation is baseless.
Shia account for around a third of Kuwait’s native population of 1.35 million.
- Ayushmann Khurrana Interview: It’s a welcome change for me to not be the simple, sweet and good guy in a film!
- Review of Partition: 1947, a heartfelt depiction of factors that led to Indo-Pak Partition, in Last Viceroy's Point of view!
- Dhanush: 'VIP 2' starts from where 'VIP' ended. It's a proper sequel to VIP!
- Azpilicueta talks FIWC, team-mates' FIFA skills and his favourite club
- Nominees for The Best FIFA Football Awards to be announced on Thursday
- Women’s football tackling big issues in India
- Valderrama: To be the best, you have to love football
- Favourites on form during exciting opening day
- New-look Nepal harbouring fresh hopes
- 10 Amazing Places Life Has Been Found
- 10 Reasons The Story Of Jesus Might Be An Allegory For The Sun
- Top 10 Incredible Stories Told By Credible People
- Trump's crisis spurs talk of White House departures
- Internet firms shift stance, move to exile white supremacists
- Thirty-seven inmates killed in government raid on Venezuelan prison
- With a wary eye on Iran, Saudi and Iraqi leaders draw closer
- Virginia rally victim's message 'magnified,' mother tells memorial
- Bangladesh has highest trade deficit since 2010
- Dominant Madrid crush Barcelona to win Super Cup
- Human Rights Watch appeals to India on Rohingya situation