They convicted had been on the run since their sentencing last month, while two convicted Kuwaitis remained at large
KUWAIT CITY: Kuwaiti authorities on Saturday arrested 12 convicted members of a “terrorist cell” with ties to Iran and Lebanon’s Shia movement Hezbollah after a weeks-long manhunt.
The interior ministry said the 12 had been captured in different areas across Kuwait. They had been on the run since their sentencing last month, while two other convicted Kuwaitis remained at large.
Kuwait expels Iranian diplomats over ‘terror’ cell: officials
The supreme court in Sunni-ruled Kuwait, which has a sizeable Shia minority, in June overturned an acquittal by an appeals court and convicted 21 Shia of forming a “terrorist cell” with ties to Iran and Hezbollah.
The cell had planned to launch attacks across the Gulf state, according to the court verdict.
Kuwait has protested to Lebanon over the alleged training of the so-called “Abdali Cell” by Hezbollah, which has ministers in the Beirut government.
Preparations begin for militants to leave Lebanon border region: Hezbollah media unit
Last month, authorities expelled 15 Iranian diplomats and shut down the military, cultural and trade missions of the Iranian embassy over Tehran’s backing of the “terrorist cell”.
Iran said the allegation is baseless.
Shia account for around a third of Kuwait’s native population of 1.35 million.
- Lena Dunham is trending at 7 in world
- CBFC is trending at 5 in India
- Thursday Night Report: ‘Justice League’ Bows to $13M; ‘Wonder’ Starts with $740K
- Long Range Forecast: ‘The Post,’ ‘Proud Mary,’ ‘Paddington 2,’ ‘The Commuter, ‘Condorito’
- ‘Justice League’ Starts w/ $27.3M Overseas
- Gilgit-Baltistan becomes ideal place for tourism: Ghazanfar
- Governor Sindh invites Kuwaiti investors to take benefits of economic opportunities in Pakistan
- PM Hariri arrives to Paris as Saudi-Iranian tensions run high
- Rohit Shetty’s Golmaal Again Earns Well Despite New Releases
- Tumhari Sulu Budget First Day Box Office Collection: Slow Start
- Sunny Leone talks about casting couch
- Box Office – Tumhari Sulu Does Fair Business Amongst Women Centric Films In 2017
- WOW! Akshay Kumar's PadMan to be shot at United Nations headquarters
- Dhaka to have rolling outages for 11 days until Nov 30
- Salman Khan to be seen with both the avatars of Shah Rukh Khan in Aanand L Rai’s next?
- Shah Rukh Khan's production partners with Netflix on original series based on ‘Bard of Blood’ book
- Deepika Padukone is not the least bit cowed down by Padmavati’s opposers
- CBFC returns Padmavati back to the makers, citing incomplete application
- Russian embassy urges US authorities to stop restring free speech for Russian media
- Usher's $20 Million Herpes Lawsuit Is Dismissed