The Kalashnikov AK-103 Assault Rifle. It uses plastic components where possible instead of wood or metal, with such components being the pistol grip, handguards and stock
Russia’s Rosoboronexport has pulled out from a tender of India’s Interior Ministry to purchase over 20,000 automatic rifles, as the specifications are of ‘outdated’ Kalashnikov weapons produced in Bulgaria.
A source in the Russian Military and Technical Cooperation was quoted as saying by TASS news agency Monday that the tender documentation is 99% for the outdated Kalashnikov 7.62 X 39 mm automatic rifles produced in Bulgaria under an expired Soviet license.
According to the source, among the tender’s specifications include the availability of a metal magazine whereas Russia has long ago given up this option in favor of more reliable plastic compound. Appliances for the assembly and disassembly of the trigger and firing mechanism, although this mechanism’s design in new Russian assault rifles of the hundredth series has been improved and no longer requires such an accessory and also steel folding butts whereas modern butt-stocks are made of composite materials.
A source in Rosoboronexport confirmed the state arms exporter’s withdrawal from the Indian Interior Ministry’s tenders for the purchase of automatic rifles, saying that Russia’s AK-103 submachine guns did not comply with the terms of the tenders.
In addition, the Kalashnikov Group said it was greatly surprised that old metal magazines were important for the purchasers from the Indian Interior Ministry, the Tass report said.
"They are less reliable and subject to rust in a hot climate. The entire world has long been switching over to plastic magazines," the Kalashnikov Group press office was quotd as saying by Tass.
- French lawmaker warns over judging the budget by its cover
- Making sense of CHAMP, the silver bullet miracle missile that isn’t
- Serbia turns to Russia for air defense systems, helo procurement
- GAO: Upgrading to new GPS will cost billions more than planned
- At ICJ is trending at 9 in India
- NATO Hails Opening of Saudi Arabian Movie Theater Market
- France creates office to improve military aircraft readiness
- Potential ‘harm’ to economy now a factor in all Canada defense competitions
- Poland will piece together its own solution for short-range air defense
- Comprehensive missile defense for the homeland [Commentary]
- Uruguay hosts world's biggest barbecue beating Argentina
- Is Ari Shavit poised for a comeback?
- New Orleans man sues Saints for refund over national anthem protests
- Stella Collective brings the outside in for seaside cafe interior
- Federal budget deficit amounts to 0.7% of GDP in 11 months — Russian Finance Ministry
- FIFA: Some 2 mln ticket requests for 2018 World Cup received within one week
- Vladimir Putin’s news conferences in facts and figures
- Lia launches world's first flushable pregnancy test
- Greek mountain home by Natalia Kokosalaki blends ideas from chalets and urban lofts
- PAK SCAN: Kulbhushan Jadhav Case: Pakistan To Submit Its Reply To ICJ Today