Shakul Hammed will be produced before the NIA special court in Chennai
New Delhi: The National Investigation Agency today arrested suspected ISIS operative Shakul Hammed in Chennai for his alleged involvement in a conspiracy to stage attacks in parts of Tamil Nadu.
The central probe agency said in a statement that Hammed is an accused, alongside eight others, of hatching conspiracy to launch the attacks to further the activities of proscribed terrorist organisation ISIS.
A case was registered suo motu against the nine accused at the NIA police station in Delhi on January 26.
"The accused people and their associates, with the intention of furthering the activities of the proscribed terrorist organisation Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS)/Daesh, had hatched a criminal conspiracy from 2013 onwards and formed a terrorist gang which had raised and received funds, organised meetings, recruited and facilitated the travel of some persons to Syria to join the ISIS/ Daesh," it said.
Investigation in the case has revealed that main accused Haja Fakkurudeen, a Singaporean citizen of Indian origin and a native of the Cuddalore district in Tamil Nadu, has joined the ISIS in Syria in January, 2014, along with his family, the NIA said.
Fakkurudeen had visited India twice between November, 2013 and January, 2014, when he had had conspiracy meetings along with co-accused Khaja Moideen, Shakul Hameed and others at various places in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka with the intention of recruiting more people into the ISIS, it said.
In pursuance of the conspiracy, Shakul Hameed had attempted to migrate to ISIS-controlled territory in Syria in August, 2015, through Turkey, where he was intercepted by Turkish authorities and deported to India, it added.
He will be produced before the NIA special court in Chennai, the statement said. On September 15, accused Khaja Moideen alias Abdullah Muthalif, the son of Chinna Thambi Ambalam of Salapathputhu Nagar in Cuddalore district was remanded in this case by a NIA special court in Chennai.
The custody of Moideen has been sought by the Chief Investigation Officer concerned in Delhi, it said.
- Kopardi is trending at 7 in India
- Long Range Forecast: ‘The Post,’ ‘Proud Mary,’ ‘Paddington 2,’ ‘The Commuter, ‘Condorito’
- Saudis in talks with TAI to buy six Anka turkish drones
- Leonardo boss calls market reaction ‘excessive’ in wake of lower forecast
- US State Department clears Poland’s $10.5B request to buy Patriot
- Ambassador to NATO unsure if US will impose sanctions on Turkey for S-400 buy
- Coleman leaves Wales post
- Lebanon's Hariri leaves Saudi Arabia for France on Friday
- Syria toxic gas inquiry to end after Russia again blocks UN renewal
- Venezuela crisis: Caracas Mayor Antonio Ledezma flees country
- Mexico migrant killings: Suspect dies after arrest
- CTD arrests one terrorist in Peshawar
- Security forces carry out operation against terrorists in Turbat
- Expansionist designs of India great threat to peace in region: AJK PM
- Ousted Caracas mayor arrives in Spain after fleeing Venezuela
- Pakistan NSA Nasser Khan Janjua Accuses India of Creating 'Two-Front Situation'
- Pakistan Has To Show Pristine Behaviour For Normalisation of Ties With NSG: Former US Diplomat
- Argentine Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Members On Board - Navy
- China Proposes Alternative Routes For CPEC Via J K, Nepal
- Chennai Customs Website Hacked: Hackers Possibly From Pakistan Claim To Deface Site