Shauman Haq a British citizen of Bangladeshi origin was planning to train Rohingya Muslims in India against Myanmar forces
A suspected al-Qaeda operative has been arrested from east Delhi, police said on Monday
Shauman Haq, 27, was arrested near Vikas Marg following a tip-off by Delhi Police's Special Cell, an official said. His real name is Shamin Ur Rehman.
He was sent to police custody till September 30 by local court. Shauman was produced before Additional Sessions Judge Sidharth Sharma who handed him over to the special cell of Delhi police for custodial interrogation till September 30 after the probe agency said he was needed for custodial interrogation to unearth the larger conspiracy.
DCP, special cell, PS Kushwaha said that, " We have arrested an operative of AQIS. A pistol and cartridge has been seized from him, and also a Bangladeshi identity card".
A British national of Bangladeshi origin, Shauman was sent by Al Qaeda to train Rohingya Muslims to fight against the Mayanmar forces. He was arrested there and was later released on bail. Since Al Qaeda knew he was marked, he was given a Bangladeshi identity and asked to set up bases in Manipur and Mizoram to radicalise youths so that they fight Mayanmar forces.
Early 2013, Shauman left Britain, went to South Africa and from there joined Al Nusra . He even fought in Syria and later moved to Bangladesh, where he was arrested in September 2014. Under interrogation he admitted that he had radicalised over dozen in Bangladesh. He had set up a web page Save Syria and tried to form a base in Chittagaon.
Delhi Police Cell currently plans to get in touch with British High Commissioner regarding through Ministry of Home Affairs.
- Syed Salahuddin is trending at 6 in India
- Peru shamans hold rituals, foresee good news during Pope's visit
- Muslim woman's house set ablaze for supporting Ram Temple
- Kerala minor rape case: Two police officers, three others arrested
- Woman gang-raped at her house in Fatehabad
- Terror funding case: NIA files chargesheet against Hafiz Saeed, 11 others
- Don't miss: Padmaavat Tamil trailer out now
- Dunford on the US-Pakistan relations: ‘I’m not giving up’
- Turkey, UK officials meet over status of Turkish jet program
- French order of C-130J aircraft signals plan for larger Air Force fleet
- First F-35B shipboard deployment to begin as US warship arrives in Japan
- Russia and US engage in 'military base race' in Syria
- Army chief: Future of US troops in Iraq TBD as ISIS crumbles
- What we’re learning about France’s air special forces as they publicly recruit
- Israel touts 'steel dome' as answer to terror tunnels
- Ronaldinho calls time on mesmerising career
- Newgen Software IPO sails through on last day; sees robust retail demand
- Man beats wife, toddler son to death in front of six-year-old
- Five rapes in 5 days: Haryana CM calls incidents ‘unfortunate’
- Class 1 student stabbed by senior girl in Lucknow school, critical