Sushma Swaraj will address the annual session of the UN General Assembly on September 23
New York: Foreign ministers of India, US and Japan will hold a trilateral meeting in New York today to give momentum to their cooperation, amid China flexing its muscles in the region.
Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj will hold the trilateral meeting with US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Japanese foreign minister Taro Kono today on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, an Indian official said.
During her week-long stay, Ms Swaraj, leading a high-powered Indian delegation, is expected to hold about 20 bilateral and trilateral meetings with leaders attending the session. Ms Swaraj will address the annual session of the UN General Assembly on September 23.
The minister is scheduled to have a series of meetings tomorrow including that with Tunisian Foreign Minister Khemaies Jhinaoui, Bhutanese Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay, Danish Foreign Minister Anders Samuelsen, Latvian Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkevics and her Bolivian counterpart Fernando Huanacuni Mamani.
Ms Swaraj will also attend a high-level meeting on UN Reforms hosted by the US and chaired by its president Donald Trump.
China is engaged in hotly contested territorial disputes in both the South China Sea and the East China Sea. Beijing has built up and militarised many of the islands and reefs it controls in the region.
China claims sovereignty over all of South China Sea.
Vietnam, Malaysia, the Philippines, Brunei and Taiwan have counter claims.
- Syed Salahuddin is trending at 6 in India
- Alien sightings no excuse for filing your tax return late
- Former Dreamworks Exec Gordon Synn Joins Fathom Events as Chief Content and Programming Officer
- NCM Names Sarah Kinnick Hilty Senior Vice President and General Counsel
- MT Genessa oil tanker: India Coast Guard fire fight on
- FM Jaitley chairs pre-budget meeting in Delhi
- Israel PM meets biz leaders over power breakfast in Mumbai
- EC announces dates for Meghalaya, Tripura, Nagaland Assembly polls
- Saharanpur' Chirag knows multiplication tables till 20 crore
- Chabahar corridor, a major success: Iranian minister
- Diljit Dosanjh on Soorma’s clash with Dutt biopic
- Dunford on the US-Pakistan relations: ‘I’m not giving up’
- Turkey, UK officials meet over status of Turkish jet program
- First F-35B shipboard deployment to begin as US warship arrives in Japan
- Russia and US engage in 'military base race' in Syria
- Greece to launch talks with France over FREMM frigates, corvettes
- Army chief: Future of US troops in Iraq TBD as ISIS crumbles
- Israel touts 'steel dome' as answer to terror tunnels
- Ronaldinho calls time on mesmerising career
- Lively exchanges at fifth FIFA Executive Football Summit in Amsterdam