Once launched, the boat will undergo extensive sea trials before it is inducted in the Indian Navy some time in 2019.
India's second indigenous nuclear submarine is likely to be launched in less than a month's time, towards the end of September or the beginning of October, government sources said.
Launching of a boat refers to the process of transferring the vessel to the water from a dry dock. Once launched, the boat will undergo extensive sea trials before it is inducted in the Indian Navy some time in 2019.
The launch is likely to be done by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in keeping with the tradition that a boat is launched by a woman. The first indigenous nuclear submarine, INS Arihant, was launched in 2009 by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's wife, Gursharan Kaur.
INS Arihant was quietly inducted in the Indian Navy in August 2016. It was the first nuclear attack submarine built by a country other than one of the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council.
Being built under the Advanced Technology Vessel (ATV) project at the Ship Building Centre in Visakhapatnam, the second boat, Aridhaman, will have double the number of missile hatches than its predecessor. It will also be powered by a more powerful reactor than INS Arihant's 83 MW pressurised light-water reactor.
INS Aridhaman will have a seven-blade propeller powered by a pressurised water reactor and can achieve speed upto 12-15 knots on surface and 24 knots under water.
- Malaysia arrests seven suspected of involvement with Abu Sayyaf militant group
- Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- North Korea calls Trump ‘barking dog’
- UAF inks agreement
- Muslims caught in Austrian election crossfire
- Deepika Padukone looks regal in first look of ‘Padmavati’
- Two revenue dept officials injured
- Azadi Chowk inaugurated in Sargodha
- Two wildlife officials gunned down
- US, Iran meet as Trump threat looms over nuke deal
- Anti-migrant, anti-Muslim, anti-Merkel: Germany's AfD
- EXレイドパス is trending at 10 in Japan
- 創設表明 is trending at 8 in Japan
- #あんスタカップリングメーカー is trending at 6 in Japan
- Gboard is trending at 5 in Japan
- #バスの日 is trending at 4 in Japan
- Matosas is trending at 10 in world
- 시민상 is trending at 9 in world
- Paulinho is trending at 8 in world
- #MartesIntratable is trending at 7 in world