Authors: TheIndianSubcontinent News Agency
A strong earthquake of magnitude 8.1 has struck in the Pacific off the southern coast of Mexico.
The epicentre was about 87km (54 miles) south-west of the town of Pijijiapan and at a depth of 70km, the United States Geological Survey said.
A tsunami warning has been issued for Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama and Honduras.
The quake was felt in Mexico City, with buildings shaking and people running into the street.
The tremors there were reported to have lasted up to a minute.
One visitor to the city, Luis Carlos Briceno, told : "I had never been anywhere where the earth moved so much."Image copyright AFP Image caption
Some electricity cuts have been reported in the capital.
If confirmed at magnitude 8.1, the quake would be bigger in strength to those that struck Mexico in 1995 and 1985. The latter hit close to Mexico City and caused thousands of deaths.
After the latest quake, at least four aftershocks ranging from 5.2 to 5.7 in magnitude were reported closer to the coast, off the town of Paredon.
No tsunami warning has been issued for the US west coast.
Mexico is currently also being threatened on its eastern coast by Hurricane Katia.
The category one hurricane is about 300km south-east of Tampico and has sustained winds of 140km/h the National Hurricane Center says.
- #OurDay is trending at 6 in world
- Cauvery is trending at 10 in India
- Delhi and Punjab is trending at 8 in India
- #RKNagar is trending at 5 in India
- US Air Force, Navy join search for lost Argentine submarine
- Dely Valdes: We need to enjoy this
- Successful first run for anti-discrimination monitoring system
- Argentina navy: Missing sub 'had called to report breakdown'
- Whitefish Energy: Power company halts Puerto Rico work
- US to scrap Haitian immigrants' protected status
- Iranian president declares end of ISIS
- Alice Bleton's bunker-like capsule offers an escape from busy city life
- Shane Sutton claims of common use of TUEs to ‘find gains’ upset British cyclists
- Israel’s Titanic Eight-Nation Air Force Exercise Concludes
- BSES app launched for consumers to verify ID of visiting staff
- Michael Cheika facing World Rugby investigation for conduct during England v Australia
- Virat Kohli is trending at 10 in world
- #DíaUniversalDelNiño is trending at 4 in world
- #DünyaÇocukHaklarıGünü is trending at 3 in world
- Murderous cult leader Charles Manson dies at 83: Officials